My Photo
Name:
Location: C'ville, Virginia, United States

Been working all my life... Not sure this work ethic is all it's cracked up to be now that I'm 60 something and wishing I didn't need the stock market and the politicians to give me back all the money they took away in the last 10 of years.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Cleaning out the Garage...my life passes before my eyes

So it's time. 25 years and it's time to clean out the garage... as my life passes before my eyes, I review every piece of scrap wood from the woodshop as I load the
equipment into the new 6x10 utility trailer. Let's see...

Lathe...yep turned the laminated pedestal for the Music stand in the living room made from mahogany, white maple, ash, and walnut.

Band Saw...cut out piano keyboard parts from hard white maple and walnut...
walnut inlays...so many things you can use a band saw for.

Radial Arm...those 347.. 45 degree angle cuts around the ash chair rail in the living room...and the shields on the ceiling made in octangle from ash, oak and pine crown molding...oooo and the crown molding...compound miter cuts...must have taken a 10 foot piece to make that 4 foot right angle around the front door...now that was a project!

Table Saw...you can cut a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood with that in nothing flat.
2x4's become 2x2's and big flat pieces become table tops. What a machine!

Planer...now there's a man's piece of equipment...it'll take a round log and make it flat and straight...worked well on the mission furniture in the living room. Boy can it turn out the sawdust! Must weigh 2 or 300 pounds...took 3 of us to move it the last time.

Jointer...that and a planer and you can make anything square...except the actual corners of the rooms... don't try to put anything square into a corner of your house.

Mortise... Mortise and Tenon joints are the best. Mission end tables, coffee tables
just have to have a mortise and tenon joint. The only machine for a Square peg in a round hole.

Drill Press...so many uses for a good ole Craftsman drill press. I've drilled, sanded, and generally torn up more wood and metal on that old drill press. Surely a solid piece of necessary equipment in any man's shop.

Router table that fits on top of the Workmate...I've ruined more edges on that thing than I ever want to admit. Nothing like a good router with its high pitched sound to remind you of a dentist chair. Every time the wife comes out, I turn on the Router...runs her right off in nothing flat.

And there there's every other hand tool known to mankind...
2 Routers, 2 Sabre saws, 2Skil Saws...chisels, wrenches for metric and SAE(what does SAE stand for anyway)6 or 8 measuring tapes and two very fine framing squares for making valley rafters for the playhouse in the back yard. Cutters, pliers, and one can never have enough screwdrivers...

Guess I'll take down the 6 different train tracks that circle on the garage ceiling. Ho gauge and 027 gauge...a fine Lionel my father gave me in 1952. Pack them away for safe keeping...

Where did all this trim come from? I have blue pine trim from the house in California, pine trim from the house in Colorado, and ash trim from the house in Texas...yep...guess it migrated with me...from one 18 wheeler to the next.

Ooooo...there's a nice piece of mahogany...6" x 4" x 13"...I can still make something out of that...and that fine piece of walnut...remnants of an old project...
maybe I ought to keep that one too...

I wonder if I can take the trailer back and get a bigger one?...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home